A VMware Certification Roadmap for Enhanced Professional Growth in 2022
- By Deepika
VMware solutions drive virtualisation and cloud computing initiatives for a wide spectrum of businesses across industries and markets. As an aspiring VMware professional looking to work with back-end infrastructure and tech stacks, you should know the right direction in which to proceed. This step is critical because VMWare certification path is diverse for aspirants at every level of expertise. For instance, these credentials are for entry-level professionals wanting to adopt expert level proficiency. These are also ideal for professionals responsible for designing huge infrastructure systems.
Benefits of Getting a VMware Certification:
As mentioned above, the VMware certification path is diverse, but it is also exhaustive. It does not just test a professional’s know-how; the learning also includes hands-on approach. As a result, earning a VMware certification catapults your career growth with attractive salary packages and enhances chances of getting a promotion. More importantly, it will highlight your profile and ensure that it stands out among the sea of non-certified candidates.
Levels and Categories of VMware Certifications:
VMware provides certifications at four levels, with multiple domains and categories under them. The four levels are:
- VCA – VMware Certified Associate:
This is an entry-level track for the IT professional taking decisions about VMware solutions in an organisation.
- VCP – VMware Certified Professional:
This certification category is designed for professionals who deal with configuring, installing, optimising and managing VMware solutions in an organisation.
- VCAP – VMware Certified Advanced Professional:
This is an advanced-level VMware certification category, targeted to professionals who help to build, design, manage and optimise VMware solutions.
- VCDX – VMware Certified Design Expert:
This is the highest level of VMware certifications to exist. It targets professionals who work directly with VMware software solutions.
Top VMware Certifications You Should Pursue:
The greatest VMware credential you can pursue is the highest credential along the certification path relevant to your domain. There are several options that you can choose from. Take a look at the most in-demand and globally-recognised ones.
- VCP-DCV 2019 – VMware Certified Professional – Data Center Virtualisation 2019:
The VCP-DCV certification is one of the most widely-known VMware certifications out there. It evaluates and validates a candidate’s expertise in implementing and managing vSphere. Candidates without a VCP certification must have experience using vSphere 6.7 and must pass a vSphere Foundations exam and a VCP-DCV exam.
- VMware vSphere – Install, Configure, Manage:
This is a specialised certification designed for system engineers and administrators trained to provide a detailed understanding of vSphere 6.7 configuration, installation and management. This includes vCenter Server 6.7 and VMware ESXi 6.7.
- VMware NSX ICM 6.4:
NSX by VMware is encompassed within a software-defined data center. This VMware certification has been designed for experienced system and network administrators dealing with NSX environments and gateway services.
- VMware Horizon Training:
This certification program has been designed for IT personnel in technical domains looking to validate their skills when it comes to installing, configuring and managing VMware Horizon 7.
- VMware Desktop and Mobility Certification:
This VMware certification is understood as one strong Master Services Competencies pillar out of four that exist in the company. VMware VDI is among the world’s leading virtual desktop platforms today.
- VCP Certification for Cloud Management and Automation:
This is one of the topmost Master Services Competencies in VMware. These certifications have been designed to enhance professionals’ skills when it comes to installing, configuring and optimising VMware vRealize.
The Only VMware Certifications Roadmap You’ll Ever Need:
Here’s a roadmap for VMware certification:
- Recommended Course: VMware Data Center Virtualization: Core Technical Skills
- Recommended Exam: Associate VMware Data Center Virtualization
Administrators and Engineers:
- Recommended Course: The “VMware vSphere Install, Configure, and Manage” is mandatory. In contrast, the “VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale” is optional, but mandatory.
- Recommended Exam: Professional VMware vSphere
Administrators, Architects, and Engineers:
- Recommended Course: VMware vSphere: Design, VMware Advanced Administration Workshop
- Recommended Exam: Advanced Deploy VMware, vSphere
- Recommended Course: Center for Advanced Learning (CAL)
- Recommended Exam: Panel Defense
If you don’t have a VCP certification to your name, here’s the certification roadmap you should follow.
Pick a certification track. This will require experience working with vSphere and versions like vSphere 7.
Candidates must attend one mandatory training out of a list given before they can earn their VMware certification. If you are pursuing the DCV certification track, you must attend any one of the following courses:
- vSphere: Install, Configure and Manage (V7)
- vSphere: Optimize and Scale (V7)
- vSphere: Fast Track (V7)
- vSphere: Skills for Public Sector Administrators (6.7)
- vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop (V7)
- vSphere: Optimise and Scale Plus Troubleshooting Fast Track (V7)
You need to clear the fundamental online exam. This means you need to clear any one of the following foundational exams depending on the certification track you choose. For the VCP-DCV track, the exams you must choose from are:
- vSphere 6 Foundations
- vSphere 6.5 Foundations
Take the VCP exam and meet the minimum qualifying percentage. This means taking up one exam out of the following:
- Professional VMware vSphere
- VCP DCV 2022
Join a community of more than 10,000 IT professionals around the world and enrol in a VMware certification training course today.