The Complete Guide to Microsoft Power BI Certification and Its Benefits
- By Deepika
In an increasingly data-driven world, the value of a Microsoft Power BI certification cannot be underestimated. The business analytics software by Microsoft has become the tool of choice for the biggest enterprises and professionals in the industry.
Thanks to its ability to collect, analyse and transform data into business intelligence, the demand for its technical experts has skyrocketed. Data-driven businesses are increasingly reliant on Power BI professionals to enhance their decision-making processes. The presence of team members who can craft meaningful visualisations, reports and dashboards is a prized asset for any business.
Today, it is estimated that data analysts with Power BI training and certification can earn US $91,000+ per year. This number can go as high as US$134,000 for experienced professionals! Thus, data analysts and other IT professionals can boost their technical skills and reputation with Power BI certification.
Here’s a quick guide on everything you need to know about the Microsoft Power BI certification.
What is Microsoft Power BI certification?
Microsoft Power BI certification is a part of the Microsoft Data Analyst Associate certification path. Candidates must clear the Analysing Data with Power BI (DA-100) course from Microsoft. This is a prestigious, in-demand accreditation that data analysts can obtain to further their careers and stand out amongst their peers.
Power BI certification certifies a data analyst’s ability to design and build scalable data models and clean and transform data using Power BI. It deems the holder a subject matter expert in having advanced analytic capabilities to create powerful data visualisations and add business value.
Who all can get Microsoft Power BI certification?
All data professionals and business intelligence professionals who have a clear understanding of Power BI fundamentals can opt for the certification. This certification is particularly useful for IT professionals who develop data visualisation reports via the cloud and on-premises data platform technologies. If you’re someone who wants to brush up on data analysis concepts and learn about Power BI, then it is recommended that you undergo Power BI training first.
How can you get Microsoft Power BI certification?
As mentioned previously, to obtain Microsoft Power BI certification, candidates have to clear Exam DA-100: Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI. This exam tests the ability to:
- prepare the data
- model the data
- visualize the data
- analyse the data
- deploy and maintain deliverables
Additionally, you also require a thorough knowledge of data processing and repositories. DA-100 exam usually has a duration of 150-210 minutes and comprises 40-60 multiple-choice questions. It also has case studies. The cut-off score is 70%. This exam can be retaken in the 12-month interval after the first attempt, but not more than 5 times.
Preparing for Microsoft Power BI certification and DA-100 exam
To develop your proficiency in Power BI and data analytics, it is recommended to undertake certified Power BI training courses from Microsoft. RPS Consulting’s Analyzing Data with Power BI is a 4-day course that can equip candidates with the best practices and techniques related to the software. It is one of the most in-demand courses in the industry and is backed by Microsoft Gold Training Partner accreditation.
Through 13 interactive modules and hands-on lab training, you will get to master various Power BI skills. These include:
- Accessing and processing relational and non-relational data from various sources
- Report and dashboard management and deployment
- Using Power BI to construct and publish paginated reports
You can enrol on-demand and learn with some of the best Microsoft-certified instructors and official training content.
Benefits of Microsoft Power BI certification
The advantages of having an industry-recognised Microsoft Power BI certification are multi-prong. Not only does it improve your resume and career prospects, but will also enable you to add true value at work. Here’s a summary of all the benefits:
- You’ll be able to transform data like a pro – Train in Power BI to connect various data sources, and cleanse and transform them without any errors.
- You’ll be the expert on modelling and visualising data – Elevate raw data into exciting and invaluable data models. Optimise existing models, manage custom reporting solutions or create organisational hierarchies with ease.
- You’ll churn out powerful dashboards and reports – Learn to configure dashboard reports, dashboard security, reports and even apps. You will also be able to publish and embed your reports expertly.
- You’ll improve your organisational standing – Become the go-to person to transform data into visualisations for business success.
- You’ll be prepared for career opportunities in a booming industry – As the business intelligence market grows to $33.3 billion by 2025, your skills will be in huge demand.
- You’ll be able to diversify your career path – Once you have mastered Power BI and become a certified Microsoft Data Analyst Associate, you can explore other domains in the Power BI stream. These include business analysts, developers, software engineers, etc.
- You’ll earn a better income – Stand a chance to receive up to a 20% salary increment as a Microsoft-certified professional.
As we have learned, a Microsoft Power BI certification is a sure shot way to kickstart career and business growth. By enrolling in optimum training, mastering Power BI’s complex skillsets will be quite easy. This will put you in good stead for acing the DA-100 exam and earn recognition as a Microsoft-certified data analyst.